SUSI HOLLIDAY - THE LAST RESORT

 

Seven strangers. Seven secrets. One perfect crime.
When Amelia is invited to an all-expenses-paid retreat on a private island, the mysterious offer is too good to refuse. Along with six other strangers, she’s told they’re here to test a brand-new product for Timeo Technologies. But the guests’ excitement soon turns to terror when the real reason for their summons becomes clear.
Each guest has a guilty secret. And when they’re all forced to wear a memory-tracking device that reveals their dark and shameful deeds to their fellow guests, there’s no hiding from the past. This is no luxury retreat—it’s a trap they can’t get out of.
As the clock counts down to the lavish end-of-day party they’ve been promised, injuries and in-fighting split the group. But with no escape from the island—or the other guests’ most shocking secrets—Amelia begins to suspect that her only hope for survival is to be the last one standing. Can she confront her own dark past to uncover the truth—before it’s too late to get out?
(NOT SO) SHORT THOUGHTS

I really don't know how to review this one.

I was really enjoying the "Lost" meets "Harpers Island" feeling to this book. Even had touches of the old TV programme "Fantasy Island" in it. Ok Yeah it was a little far fetched, but you expect that in this sort of novel.

All was going well until we got to the end.

SPOILER BEGINS HERE - HIGHLIGHT TO VIEW

I did like the idea of each guest having a nasty secret in their past and them being revealed one by one but did I miss it or was the reason for Lucy setting the house on fire and presumably killing the parent & child not revealed?  I did at one point think the book was going down a Willy Wonka type path with each guest being punished for their personalities etc but found it disappointing that they were more or less just collateral damage.

Also unless I missed it, I would have liked to have known what was the reason for the Famous Five references.  I get that it related to Merryn and the flashbacks but I'm guessing that Merryn was just meant to be a fan of the books?

My biggest issue though was the ending - To believe that one girl carried out all that and invented all that futuristic technology, killing people, employing staff etc just to get revenge on one person for what was basically not keeping in touch....no sorry - i just......no

SPOILER ENDS HERE


A massive shame because as I was saying, I was REALLY enjoying it up to that point and actually looking forward to picking it up each night.



ARC provided by Amazon Publishing and Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARK ROWLEY & DAVID DERBYSHIRE - THE SLEEP OF REASON

JESSICA GUESS - CIRQUE BERSERK (REWIND OR DIE #4)

DAVID KRISTOPH - SPORE